Monday, September 10, 2007

Almost as good as takeout






I want to start this post by apologizing for the poor quality of my photos in my entries. I use a very inexpensive digital camera, and I take the photos without a flash, which makes it difficult to focus (but I feel using the flash makes things look too washed out). I actually have a newer, better camera, but it's a digital video camera that also takes stills... and I haven't quite mastered its operation yet. Maybe some day! Anyway, the photos are just to give you a general idea of the preparation involved and the finished results, and aren't meant to be looked at for detail. Not that anybody has complained or anything, but I just wanted to acknowledge that I know they aren't the greatest.

Okay, onto the recipe. This is the first time I have made "Broccoli with Garlic Sauce," and it's a keeper. I'm not joking when I say it's almost as good as takeout. It was delicious. The recipe was from a Weight Watchers cookbook called Take-Out Tonight! so I guess the book delivers on its title. Here is the recipe

1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons sake or rice wine
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound broccoli crowns, cut into florets (about 4 cups

1. Combine the broth, sake or rice wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, cornstarch, and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Heat a nonstick wok or a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in the oil, then add the garlic. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
3. Add the broccoli and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 1 minute.

I used regular versions of chicken broth and soy sauce, because that's what I had on hand. I also used rice wine instead of sake. And I halved the recipe, which was the perfect amount for one person. The recipe says it serves 4, so I guess that's one reason this is a WW recipe.

If you wanted to I think it would be easy to incorporate chicken or beef and even some other vegetables to make a complete entree.

One reason I think this recipe really works and tastes authentic is that it uses authentic ingredients. Too often, recipes for Chinese food I've seen in cookbooks seem to be American adaptations of Chinese food using more common ingredients (mostly just soy sauce). If you aren't using things like rice wine and oyster sauce, you just aren't going to get the same taste.

Here's a bonus recipe, using another authentic Chinese food ingredient: garlic chili sauce. (By the way, I was able to find all of these ingredients in the Asian food section of my local Giant Eagle.) I have no photos of this recipe, but I have made it quite a few times and it's also delicious!

Sweet and Spicy Green Beans
source: allrecipes.com

3/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced (I often eliminate this, because there is plenty of garlic in the next ingredient)
1 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
1 teaspoon honey
2 teaspoons canola oil

1. Arrange a steamer basket in a pot over boiling water, and steam the green beans 3 to 4 minutes. (I usually just steam them in the microwave.)
2. In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, garlic, garlic chili sauce, and honey.
3. Heat the canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the green beans and fry for 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in the soy sauce mixture. Continue cooking and stirring 2 minutes, or until the liquid is nearly evaporated.

No comments: