Thursday, September 6, 2007

Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken Pasta

First of all, I have to "give props" to my Grandma Cotterman for giving me this awesome cookbook holder. I usually use it when I cook. Isn't it cute? It says "Read 'N Do." I do!

Last night I made "Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken Pasta" for dinner. This recipe was the rave over at the "What's for Dinner?" message board at http://www.thenest.com/ (a site for newlyweds---gag me. I shouldn't criticize it, because I do visit there, but mostly it's because I discovered that message board and it is right up my alley: girls sharing great recipes!). I have to credit the source, which is another "nestie's" food blog: http://amberskitchen.blogspot.com/

Here is the recipe:

Spicy Garlic Lime Pasta
(Source: Amber's Delectable Delights)

Ingredients:
1 cup chicken broth
1.5 tbls lime juice (adjusting amount to your liking)
1 tbls corn starch
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried parsley
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
1 tbls butter
Few drizzles of olive oil
8 oz pasta
1-2 cups broccoli florets

Optional - Parmesan cheese for topping

Directions:
1) Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. During the last 5 minutes of pasta cook time add the broccoli into the boiling water. Drain.
2) Mix together all the sauce ingredients (chicken broth through parsley) and set aside.
3) Meanwhile, heat butter and olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add bite size chicken pieces into heated pan. Cook chicken until no longer pink. Pour the sauce ingredients into the pan with the chicken and bring to a simmer. Let simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened.
4) Toss cooked broccoli and pasta with the chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired and serve.

I liked this recipe because it was really EASY to make. Just one pot and one saucepan. I did make one modification: I only used half the lime juice called for in the recipe, because I was afraid Jason wouldn't like it if it was too lime-y.
Here are pictures of how pretty the broccoli looked cooking with the pasta, and the chicken simmering in the sauce:
And, the finished product:


Overall, I liked the flavor and would probaby make it again. But I think it could be improved on. It was spicy, and I like spicy food, but I think in this combination I would have appreciated a little sweetness or tangy-ness. And maybe some corn. I'm envisioning the type of pasta dish Chipotle would create. :-)

By the way, I asked Jason last night if he was going to read my blog. He decided that he probably wouldn't, because he's "living the blog." So I can talk about him, and I will say that with Jason, a neutral review is often the best you can hope for. With food, he's more of the "eat to live" type rather than "live to eat." He will sometimes rave about a dish, but generally I just hope he doesn't hate it.

I asked him what he thought of this one, and he said something along the lines of, "It was all right." I asked if I could make it again sometime, and he said "Sure." So there you go. A success.

No comments: