Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fajitas and Mexican Rice


One day last week, I was really craving fajitas, but didn't have the ingredients to make them, didn't want to go out to eat, and after discussing the matter with Jason, decided that Mexican take-out probably wouldn't travel very well. So the next time I went to the grocery store I got the ingredients to make my own. I found a recipe for fajitas on recipezaar and after trying to choose a side to accompany the fajitas, I made some mexican rice that I improvised based on a few different recipezaar recipes. I would definitely make both again. The photo was an afterthought... I had forgotten to take one and then I actually made Jason stop eating so I could have some sort of documentation of the meal. :-)

Fajitas:
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 lb beef or chicken
1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup sliced onions
1/4 cup sliced green peppers
4 flour tortillas

1. Combine the first 7 ingredientsto make marinade.

2. Slice chicken or beef into strips.

3. Add to marinade and marinate for 2 hours.

4. Quickly saute onions and peppers in oil until lightly browned.

5. Remove from pan.

6. Saute marinated meat for about 4 minutes.

7. Toss with vegetables.

8. Spoon into flour tortillas.

Optional: serve with avocado slices and sour cream.


Mexican Rice:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil1 cup rice
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 packet taco seasoning
1/3 cup salsa
1/3 cup corn

Heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and saute or 5 minutes until rice is golden brown.

Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes until rice is tender.

No comments: