Monday, January 21, 2008

Two Dips


For Jason and me, Christmas 2007 didn't just happen on December 25... we actually had FIVE separate Christmases in order to see everyone on both sides of our families. Our final "Christmas" happened on December 30 when we hosted my mom and sisters here at our house. We had a great time hosting the girls, and I got to make some recipes I wouldn't normally cook for just Jason and me. When we have company I love to try new appetizer recipes, and this time I made two dips I had been wanting to try. They don't look the most appetizing in the picture (and GRETCHEN took the photo, not me... it is really difficult to photograph food and make it look tasty), but they were pretty good.

The first one is called Hot Southwest Corn Dip, and it's a recipe I had seen online somewhere and jotted down. I love corn, especially with southwest flavors (I love cumin!), so I had to try this one.

2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes, drained
8 oz. package cream cheese, cubed
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin
shredded cheese (optional)

In a large bowl, combine corn, Ro-tel, and spices. Place in casserole and dot with cream cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until cheese is melted. Stir blend.

Top with shredded cheese if desired and broil until bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips.

The second recipe was for Crabmeat-Gruyere Dip. It had been published in the food section of the newspaper. It was a pretty expensive one, between the crabmeat (I wasn't sure if it would work if I substituted imitation crabmeat) and the gruyere cheese, so I doubt I will make it again. But it was good!

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 cup sliced white mushrooms
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 large egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
2-1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat
Brandy, to taste (I omitted this because I didn't have any brandy!)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash of hot sauce
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup cracker crumbs, such as saltines

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 10-inch gratin dish.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots and mushrooms. Saute for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, then turn off the heat.
Whisk together egg yolks and cream in a bowl. Add mixture to the skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, whisking constantly.

Add cheese. Simmer 30 seconds, or until it reaches a creamy consistency.

Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the crabmeat, brandy, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, parsley, cayenne, salt and peper. Pour mixture into the prepared gratin dish. Top with cracker crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes, or until browned on top.

No comments: