Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dill


I love dill. I love the flavor and the smell. There's something about it that evokes a feeling of freshness and comfort for me.
On Sunday I went to the Ohio State Fair with my friend Kate B. She and I are both former 4-H'ers (of the cooking and sewing variety... not farming or livestock) so I figured she would be able to appreciate it. While we were wandering the exhibition hall someone offered us a sample of cucumber dill dip. The booth was selling mixes to make dips and cakes as well as things like liniment and cough syrup. The dip we tasted was delicious, but I didn't want to shell out $9 for the jar. Instead I came home and searched online for a cucumber dill dip recipe I could make at home. I made it tonight for bible study, but forgot to take a picture until afterwards... hence the shortage of carrots and the Wheat Thin crumbs. I think the dip was a hit. It had a light, delicious flavor and went well with both the veggies and the crackers/pretzels.
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I used 1 tablespoon of dried minced onion instead)
1 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups finely chopped seeded peeled cucumber
assorted vegetables and/or crackers
Combine the first six ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. Just before serving, stir in cucumber.
I think one of the reasons I like dill so much is that I've always loved my mom's veggie dip recipe. It has more of a kick than the cucumber-dill dip recipe above, and it's ADDICTIVE (perhaps because of the MSG??). Here's that recipe:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 ounces sour cream
1 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoned salt
2 teaspoons dill weed
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Accent flavor enhancer (MSG)
5 drops Tabasco
Mix all ingredients well in a food processor. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to blend.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love dill as well! My favorite is getting it fresh at the farmers market. :) I'll have to try the dip recipe.