Sunday, September 21, 2008

Salsa

I came across a recipe for "Spicy Bean Salsa" on allrecipes.com awhile back. It averages a 5-star rating (out of 5) with over 600 reviews so I figured it must be good. I made it to take to bible study one night and it was a hit. I served it with Tostitos Scoops which worked great for holding everything (and no I didn't actually scoop out individual servings... I just did that for the picture because it was more attractive than showing the salsa in the bowl).

Here is the recipe as it is listed on allrecipes.com. The only things I did differently were to drain the black-eyed peas (since it doesn't indicate to do that), used diced green chiles since I couldn't find jalapenos, and I used "fire-roasted" diced tomatoes instead of regular. It really didn't seem very spicy to me. Next time I might try to add some tabasco, cumin or chili powder to kick it up a little.
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes. Season with Italian-style salad dressing and garlic salt; mix well. Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

No comments: