Thursday, September 25, 2008

Steaks

Jason participated in a golf outing last week and won a box of steaks. We are now the proud owners of ten Michael's 10-ounce New York Strip steaks, which currently reside in our freezer. I have never cooked a strip steak, and haven't cooked any other kind of steak for a very long time since it's one of the foods on Jason's do-not-eat list. Seriously. But now he thinks he might actually like steak, because he ate one at said golf outing and, "whatever it was they did to prepare it made it taste really good."

Does anyone have any suggestions for preparing a NY strip steak? I know how to cook one but I guess I'm looking for tips on seasonings. Please leave a comment if you do!

3 comments:

Adam and Vicky said...

Heather, we like to marinate in teriyaki sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, paprika, and chives, and then we salt and pepper before grilling. Of course soy sauce works well too, but maybe add more brown sugar. I've also been known to throw in some dry mustard seasoning. Now, the amount of each . . . ? Well, I just wing it. :) If you like a dry rub, the McCormick seasoning works well and keeps you from having to add and guess. Enjoy! I can't believe Jason doesn't/didn't like steak! :)

Adam and Vicky said...

Oh . . . I forgot . . . I add olive oil to the marinade.

LaFleur said...

For steak I like the McCormicks Montreal Steak seasoning. I use a couple teaspoons or even a whole tablespoon per steak. NY Strip is pretty hearty.

A butcher that was near my house in Portsmouth had a Burgundy Wine marinade that was out of this world. I really don't care for marinades with sugar in them - this may have had a little, but it had a good amount of oil, the wine, and lots of mustard seeds (they were great because after the steak is cooked they popped in your mouth - I liked them and I don't really care for mustard).

Good luck!!